Favorite places I’ve travelled?
Cambodia, Thailand, and Guatemala
- The Clash
- Jurassic 5
- Johnny Cash
My idea of perfect happiness?
Having a purpose, being surrounded by people I love, having an adventure to look forward to, feeling like I am contributing to the world in a meaningful way and making a positive difference in other people's lives.
My greatest fears?
- Failure - letting people down, not living up to what I say I will do.
- Ignorance. The damage caused by egotistical/narcissistic decision-makers.
My proudest moment?
- Having my daughter
- Getting married
- Graduating with my MBA
Where I see opportunities for more kindness in our world?
- Manners - yes, it’s that simple.
- Taking a genuine interest in other people - being interested as opposed to being interesting.
- Doing something nice for someone everyday where they can’t possibly repay you.
My greatest extravagance?
Food, travel, and shoes
The qualities I most like in a person?
Authenticity, transparency, empathy, compassion, humour
What I most dislike?
Ego, arrogance, dishonestly, green peppers.
When and where I have been happiest?
- The day I got married.
- The day my daughter was born.
- Travelling - rafting down river in Missouri, exploring Cambodian countryside in a tuk tuk, hanging out in Thai beach bungalows...to name just a few.
A talent I would most like to have that I don’t?
To be a really good bass guitar player.
One thing I would change about myself?
Fear of heights - has been a limiting factor with some experiences.
My greatest achievement?
Completing my MBA, while working full time, living in a house being renovated, with a very pregnant wife and two nutty dogs.
Where I would most like to live?
- Calgary - I have travelled the world and I love where I live; I’m always happy to come home.
- New York for a year.
My most treasured possession?
- My friendships, memories and experiences
- Joe Strummer/Clash themed skateboard
- 50th birthday book created by my wife with messages and photos from everyone I love
My favorite occupations?
- travelling, experiencing and gaining understanding of different cultures (food, art, music, people, history, etc.)
- playing and watching hockey
- listening to music
- anything that involves hanging out with my family, i.e. playing with my daughter, hiking, bike riding, skiing.
My most marked characteristics?
- loud voice and laugh
- asking questions…..a lot of questions….
What I most value in my friends?
- care about doing the right thing
My favorite writers?
- Malcolm Gladwell
- Steven Levitt and Steven Dubner (Freakonomics)
- Erik Larson
- Jim Collins
- Simon Sinek
- Michael Lewis
- Chip and Dan Heath
- Daniel Pink
My fictional heros?
- Cosmo Kramer (Seinfeld) - positive, honest, friends with everyone, always trying new things, has big ideas
- Captain John Miller (Saving Private Ryan) - loyal leader who saw the strengths in everyone; not afraid to do the right thing at own personal risk.
Historical figure I most identify with?
- Joe Strummer
- Winston Churchill
- Romeo Dallaire
- Abe Lincoln
My real-life heros?
- My family and friends - I surround myself with people who inspire me every day
- Barack Obama
- Larry Bird
- Mario Lemeiux
- Joe Strummer
My favourite mottos?
- Life begins to end the day we become silent about things that matter - MLK
- Always be smart, never be certain
- Standing still in a world of rapid change is similar to walking backwards